Piano horse

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 3 15:41 MST 2001

On 2/2/01 12:32 PM, "Avery Todd" <atodd@UH.EDU> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Another thing to consider besides the "precedent" thing Newton
> mentioned is the insurance liability in case something were to
> happen to one of the students. That problem might not apply in
> your case since it's a private school.
>
> We are a state university and thereby, are self-insured. So, I
> was able to get the student help thing stopped when I first
> came here 8 yrs. ago because of that. All it would take is one
> "lawsuit hungry" parent!
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Avery
    The liability issue is something to consider before using student help.
I do moving only when absolutely desperate, and only with seasoned,
body-builder, piano savy student workers.

>>>   Is it a practical thing to
>>> consider?  Can one person really move a piano with one?  Can an
>>> out-of-shape 61 year old
>>> consider doing this?

If you haven't seen the video send for it.  A local piano dealer bought one
from my suggestion, and  after seeing the video.  It is easy to use.  This
out-of-shape 61 year old moved a M&H 7' this Summer.  I amazed how easily
the grand went over on it's side.   If you set the boards as suggested you
may need a helper, however the grunt work is gone.

>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> I would use two extra students to do the grunt work.  It is an
>> impressive piece of equipment and works as advertised.  Question is do
>> you want to set a precedent?
>>
>> Newton
Joel
--