Fortepiano Info

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Mar 7 09:47 MST 2001

Avery,
	A fortepiano (at least a fairly early one, which is what you are
probably most likely to get) is much closer in design and maintenance
needs to a harpsichord than to a modern piano. Tuning stability is
generally worse than with a harpsichord, if anything. Note that it will
be very temperature sensitive as well as humidity sensitive (wood case,
metal strings, no metal plate to compensate). Probably temperature has
more of an effect than humidity - think stage lights. And the action
tends to be more labor intensive than a harpsichord as well.
	This is not intended to discourage purchase - I'm a great fan of early
keyboard instruments. Playing a Haydn sonata on an instrument of the
time is a real epiphany, as is CPE Bach and JC Bach (and Benda and all
those others nobody plays much because they aren't really suitable
either for modern piano or for harpsichord). Educationally a wonderful
thing to have. (And it would be nice to have a later model as well, for
the early 19th cent literature). But lots of work.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
> Was just wondering if any of you have to service/maintain a Fortepiano
> at your school.
---