Fortepiano Info/Erard (long)

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Wed Mar 7 12:34 MST 2001

Avery:

I was glad to see Daniel Dover's post which included Stephen Birkett's
summary.   I included Stephen's summary in my report to one of my schools a
couple years ago; I have not seen any summary more comprehensive than
Stephen's.

But your post unleashed within me the need to respond.  There is one type of
period piano which has not easily been classified, but which I believe has
enormous importance:  the mid-nineteenth-century Erard 8' concert grand.
Closest to the Streicher on Stephen's list, this instrument is also closer to
the modern piano than the Streicher.  While no piano fully dominated the
concert stage, the Erard was the piano used by Liszt from the first piano
recitals of his early days, and for the next 30 or 40 years.  It was the
instrument which Liszt "heard" his music with, and which the other important
composers of piano literature during the period had to contend with;  it was
the most powerful-sounding instrument of the pre-modern piano era.  Liszt's
archetypal competitor, Brahms, demanded it for a concerto as late as the
1860s.  Even Debussy and Ravel's pianos were Erards of non-modern design.
Tonally very different from the modern piano, the Erard was approximately a
12 ton stringing scale, higher than most of its contemporaries;  it did not
use cast steel wire (brighter, softer wire was used) nor did it have a cast
plate, but instead it used metal bars fastened in the back to a substantial
hitch pin plate and in the front to the pinblock;  it was straight-strung.
The entire damper action, including dampers, was  below the strings, and was
very quick.  And, of course, these pianos were the only non-modern pianos
with the Erard double escapement action.  Certainly the importance of this
instrument's place in the evolution of piano design - a unique combination of
the double-escapement action, leather-covered hammers, and period
frame/stringing design - combined with the dominance the Erard had in
mid-nineteenth century concert halls, should result in its place on any
university's period piano list.

A number of forces work against the Erard's place in the "fortepiano" or
historical piano world.  Erards from the mid-nineteenth-century exist in
quantities, and seem to retain the "old piano" stigma without the more recent
"fortepiano" glow we reserve for earlier pianos.  Unlike the more easily
reproducible 5 octave instruments, the Erard is a very complex beast, would
be an extremely costly thing to reproduce, and I know of no one who has
enough data to do it.  I have speculated that the Erard soundboard is of more
modern concept, relying on a crowned/downbearing structure not easily
restored (I have stared at my Paris Erard soundboard at length, and hope to
study this structure during the restoration).  This soundboard structure
might be considerably more responsive in reproduction than in restoration
(soundboard replacement might not be feasible - or even responsible - in the
Erard).

The existence of quite a number of recordings on the Erard (Emanuel Ax's 2 CD
Sony Classical a couple years ago may be the most well-known), as well as the
increase in the Erard's place at symposiums and in literature on performance
practice, demonstrate the growing awareness of the importance of the Erard in
understanding mid-nineteenth-century piano literature.  But I expect a day
when it will be as important for understanding mid-nineteenth-century piano
literature as the 5 to 6 octave fortepianos have been in understanding late
eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century literature.

I am indebted to Stephen Birkett for much of this information, but I don't
know if Stephen agrees with my conclusions and would welcome his and others'
Sonata on an Erard restoration, or sing "Comment Disaientis" accompanied by
one.

Bill Shull, RPT
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 3/7/01 7:13:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, atodd@UH.EDU