Guidelines addendum

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri Mar 16 07:38 MST 2001

The CAUT Committee did a very cursory survey of NASM institutions while
working on the Guidelines document.  (There were some 1400 music departments
at the time, although I'm not sure if that many were NASM members.)  Knowing
that administrators are besieged with requests to answer surveys, we kept it
very short and easy.  Primarily we were trying to identify the technicians so
that we could follow up and ask the techs the real questions.  Predictably,
the response was not very satisfying: not many questionnaires returned, not
much information gained.

There should be an ongoing effort to obtain and maintain this information
since it is important for communication, and for enhancing the credibility of
any resulting recommendations.  However, if past experience is any indicator,
we may find that it is difficult to identify our 'hidden' colleagues.

            -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"All men are equal before fish."   -   Pres. Herbert Hoover