CAUT spills his guts

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Tue Mar 27 14:06 MST 2001

>I have found that more
>grands than you might expect can actually be tuned quite easily with the lid
>down -- takes a short tuning hammer in addition to your normal one...
>Kent Swafford

I made my own short tuning hammer just for this purpose much cheaper than
the supply houses offer them (I don't think they were in any of the
catalogs then).  I ordered the extension tuning hammer replacement shaft
from APSCO, (Schaff's is hexagonal and won't work for this recipe), and a
new head and tip (or use an extra one you've got already).  I had planned
to use hardwood dowel but found out by accident that the already drilled
hole in a #7 "Screwz-On" file handle fits that shaft perfectly.  You have
to saw off the metal ferrule with the encased holding nut.  I cut the shaft
to make the entire length about 6 1/2 - 7" including handle.  Add a little
epoxy or equivalent. If desired, rasp, file and sand the handle to a more
"ergonomic" shape (even stain and varnish it) and, wallah!  The whole thing
can be done for around $25, IF you have to buy everything new.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music
University of South Carolina