old Bechstein

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed Mar 28 12:08 MST 2001

At 05:40 PM 03/27/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Dennis-
>
>I'm just finishing up the action of an old Bechstein with rocker/sticker
>action.  It was in good condition, and the owner didn't want the action
>changed.  There does seem to be a different feel to the action with the
>wippens linked to the keys.  The owner is a very sensitive, articulate
>player, not into power and bombast, so the piano is very appropriate for
>her.
>
>It is a lot of work and will cause you to rethink your methods to avoid
>pulling and replacing the stack as much as possible. If someone knows a
>quick and easy way to adjust the rockers, I wish they would write!
>
>Be aware that the action geometry is not what we usually see.  The shank is
>above level at let-off and the hammers are hung raking back so that they are
>perpendicular to the string at contact. You may need to do some woodworking
>to duplicate the hammers.
>
>Ed Sutton

I am finishing a Bechstein and had to angle the hammers back more than the
originals
to have them hit the strings squarely even with making them as long as I could.
I am in the final regulating stage.

The only awkward procedure is to set a hammer line.  A ratchet offset
screwdriver works
but not as efficiently as I would like. Renner has a 4 sided offset tool
(stock #1793) for this
purpose. Lloyd will be ordering some (they don't stock them) for me in
their next order.
Call and see if they can order a few more before their order goes in this week.

I don't mind rocker arm actions, they have a lower friction without the
capstan/wippen cushion contact.

Attached is an image file of the tool. I first inquired of Heckshers and
they sent this image file.
But if you have a machinist acquaintance . . .or aptitude. . .

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Offset.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 49247 bytes