replacing plain wire

Wed Nov 7 03:21 MST 2001

Wim,

At 23:20 11/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Please explain this "plastic deformation due to over-stressing". I have
>never heard of it.
>
>Wim

Think of drawing taffy.

As you increase the tension and approach the breaking point,  the weakest
point of the wire will begin to fail.  As it does, that section becomes
thinner.   If you stop at this point, you now have a wire with one of the
wildest false beats you ever heard.

You can even hear/feel this happen.  I did this for my classes, but you
could try it just to give yourself string replacing practice...;-}
Purposely (slowly}keep pulling up a string and playing that note at the
same time.  For a while the pitch will rise, then for a while, you will be
pulling up with little or no pitch increase. - that is when it is taffying
out.  Pulling more will break the string. Stopping and backing down will
demonstrate the false beat generator.

Conrad Hoffsommer -  Decorah, IA
Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...