It IS a full time job

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed Nov 14 07:44 MST 2001

When I first heard about university technicians, I thought to myself, how can
taking care of 75 pianos be considered a full time job. Now, after three
months on the job, I'm asking myself, how in the world can one technician
take care of 75 pianos?

When I accepted the job here at the University of Alabama, I was looking
forward to spending time some quality with Jan, working in the yard, playing
racquet ball, golfing, taking a weekend to go to the beach, and doing a few
extra tunings. I've been here 3 months, and with only 72 pianos, I'm already
three years behind. I find myself working more than 8 hours a day, and
sometimes more than 5 days a week. What hasn't helped is that for the past 25
years, the pianos were "tuned" and most of them have been "repaired," and
some have even been "rebuilt," but certainly not up to university standards.
There is lots of catching up to do.

I am starting to keep track of my hours, so that I don't work more than 40
hours a week. I am very lucky to have a very appreciative faculty, and an
even more appreciate department chair. I'm left alone, and I can work any
time I want. No time card to punch. My office is next to the piano faculty
studios. It's big enough to rebuild a piano in, with a large window,
overlooking a grass yard, with large trees with squirrels climbing up and
down. And one of the most enjoyable benefits of working at the university is
attending the numerous recitals and concerts by the faculty and students.
(I've not been to a football game, but maybe that will happen next year.)

I'm not complaining, and I'm not asking for advice, I'm just expressing my
thoughts. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure this is really
happening. I know someday the honeymoon will be over, but for now, I'm
enjoying every moment.  I love my job

Happy Thanksgiving.

Wim