It IS a full time job

Wed Nov 14 12:47 MST 2001

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu wrote:

>   How does a culture like this happen?  The method that worked for me was
> to first establish with the director that I am a mission person, that
> means doing everything possible to serve the functions of the school
> in the most professional way possible, with that attitude came the
> expectation that I would be given the tools to do so. Therefore, there is
> a clear understanding of the expectations and the technical standards that
> must be maintained to support the goals of the school.
>
>   Wim, you said you weren't asking for advice so forgive me for expressing
> two ideas, always take the high road and be a mission person.
>
> -------------------
> Brent Fischer
> Senior Piano Technician
> Arizona State University

Fine words and very sound advice.  My experience with institutions and my
young years as a University tech bear these out as well. I think its paramount
to establish your position as a proffessional they cannot do without and build
on that as a foundation for cooperation, mutual respect and growth in all
respects. Being visable is very important, and not just as in running around
with a screwdriver... but in taking initiative to events, new ideas and ways
in which the piano technician can contribute to the education of both students
and faculty. We know many valuable things that they do not.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.