Question

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed Oct 3 18:46 MDT 2001

Chris,
    My experience, having done two installations and heard four others, is
that it does exactly what the Wapin Co. claims it does.  It increases power
and sustain as well as the range of response.  It makes it possible to
install heavier hammers on small pianos.  It seems to revive middle-aged
soundboards.  It gives you the odd feeling that the sound is coming from a
larger piano than the one you're playing.  This is especially noticeable in
the capo sections and the melody area. The top section requires a different
attitude to unison tuning because you can hear longer beats.  Doesn't seem
to change the top 4 notes much.
    I've installed Wapin on the little Cable and also on a 1910 Mason &
Hamlin A.  Either would have been adequate home pianos without, but they are
much stronger instruments with the Wapin.  The rebuilds included rescaling
and careful action work, which Wapin Co. recommends when possible.
    Wapin Co. also has a method of installing without restringing.  It is
not always necessary to Wapinize the entire bridge, it can be used
selectively. I heard two pianos, one a concert grand where this had been
done as therapy for dying soundboards, and the results were convincing. (R.
v. W., will you comment?)
    Other people on this list have experience with Wapin on big pianos with
new soundboards, and perhaps will comment.
    In a college situation it should be very valuable, particularly with
25-50 year old instruments that have lost the ability to sustain and project
tone.  I hope to do a Wapin installation on a recital instrument next year.
    Ed