Fwd: Re: capo-hardening?

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 3 19:34 MDT 2001

>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:46:56 -0500
>To: caut@ptg.org
>From: jolly roger <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
>Subject: Re: capo-hardening?
>
>Hi Ed,
>           The case hardening from the quenching is typically less than
1mm deep, so it does not take too much dressing to file through it.  The
grey cast iron (sand cast) is quite soft on the inside and is easily ground
by the abrasion of the strings just pulling to pitch, so the case hardened
skin is important to longevity.
>   V pro plates are a different story, with a lot of different
characteristics.  The additives to enable rapid cooling makes the material
less pourous, and also less prone to wear that the core material of sand
cast.  V pro is not case hardened in the same sense as grey cast, since no
quenching takes place.  Heat is removed quite rapidly through conductivity
into the large steel molds.
>Complete cooling time is about 40mins vs hours with the sand cast process.
>So you are fairly safe filing and dressing a C3 plate.
>
>Some of the keys to making a good sand cast plate.  Sand mold is good and
wet to effect quenching, and case hardening.   Slow rate of cooling to
ensure good stress relief, and to minimize distortion.   I seem to recall
that 24hrs cooling for the best concert grand plates, before the plate is
taken from the mold.  May be wrong on the time, but it is very slow.