Sharp key height

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 25 16:24 MDT 2001

Dear John,

The height of the sharps will be somewhat driven by the dip the
action requires.  On Steinways (for instance) with the 15.5 mm
knuckle placement (Renner USA calls this the "original dimension" and
Steinway the "pre-1984" dimension) you may be able to get by with the
12 mm sharp height.  On actions with the 17 mm knuckle placement
(called either the "Hamburg" dimension or the "Improved" dimension),
you may need a 1/2" height to maintain proper sharp clearance above
the adjacent naturals when the sharps are depressed.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Ball, RPT