Stage dolly wheels (was Re: upright wheels?)

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu Oct 25 20:39 MDT 2001

Hi, David -

Replacing stage dolly wheels is very straight forward.  You can replace the
wheel only, if the frame is OK.  Or you can replace the whole thing.  They're
available from Jansen or any of the suppliers from whom you can purchase the
dollies.

I like to use a hydraulic jack for these stage dolly jobs.  Mine is a common
half-ton bottle jack mounted on an adjustable stand modified from an
automotive axle stand.  Simpler: you can set your jack on a sturdy piano
bench or chair.  Place two small 2x4 blocks under two of the limbs of the
dolly then jack the piano near the other limb to take the weight off the
wheel you'll work on.  This method is very quick, easy, and safe.  Works for
various leg repairs and dolly installation jobs.

Another technique I've used with success for changing a wheel:  Use a small
screw jack (Starrett machinists' jack) directly under the limb of the dolly
you'll work on.  In this case, no need to block under the other limbs.
You'll only need to raise it  a half inch or so.

             -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside a dog it's too dark
to read."
   -   Groucho Marx