Oops: Parts Decision

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 19 15:14 MDT 2002

Hi Avery,
               I have drilled, a 1/2" hole in the wippen heel area, and it
gets you closer to the ball park, also trimmed down the shanks, same thing.
Have gone back to using S & S parts since the all improved, been happy with
the results FWIW.
Just some ideas for you, that Hornbeam is quite a bit heavier.
Wally Brooks also has the dimensions in maple.
Regards Roger

At 12:10 PM 8/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>Forgot to mention that the hammers are the 14 lb. German Felt
>Light Maple type.
>
>Avery
>Well, I got the Ronsens in the other day and have been trying
>to figure out the right combination of parts for the action of
>this Steinway M (1925).
>
>For those who've used the Renner parts kit and might be
>familiar with the parts numbers, what seems to come closet to
>app. 50 g. downweight (note #27) is the #913 041 straight heel
>wippen and #913 031 shank/flange. That is the 17mm shank but
>as near as I can tell, this would probably work best and
>require minimal leading. The next shank down, #913 029
>(16.2 mm ?) also comes very close.
>
>The upweight is a little high though, closer to 30 than 25.
>
>Out of curiosity, I just weighed all the old and new parts.
>The old shank/flange/hammer assembly was 13.5 grams. The new
>was 15.8g. The new hammer (#27) was 8.7g. I didn't pop the
>old one to compare it.
>
>The old wippen weighed 20.5g and the new, 22.1g. This action
>has a good bit of verdigris, so it's kind of hard to compare
>the new with the old.
>
>This is the first time I've used the parts kit, so any advice
>you can give me from what I've said above will be more than
>welcome. I'd like to order the parts tomorrow. Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Avery

Roger