jack hitting h.flange

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Aug 19 15:06 MDT 2002

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> BTW, Fred, I mentioned your recommendation, but I don't think you want
> to hear the answer. :)
>
> Wim

Wim,
	The more diplomatic, but equally infuriating (to the pianist) way to
put it is "You can play just as loud without crashing through to the
keybed - and you are less likely to injure yourself as well."
	When I first had the complaint, I couldn't reproduce the click/knock.
SO I had the pianist show me. I was amazed. It really takes some abuse
to shove the key down enough to make the jack hit the flange. Since
then, I've looked at that part of the flange when I have stacks off, and
often see tell-tale marks (a funny, straight little line). It's taught
me not to allow as much aftertouch slop as I used to. Which means I have
to touch up capstan regulation more often, but it also means faster
repetition, and what most will perceive as a somewhat lighter touch (as
long as you don't reduce aftertouch _too_ much).
Regards,
Fred