Stanwood's method

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed Aug 21 10:57 MDT 2002

Avery,

Never forget one thing.  It's not rocket science and no one's life is in
danger.  The formulas are very good, but absolute perfection is not
possible (same as with equal temperament).  You will learn more with each
job (same as when learning to tune) and before you know it the bigger
picture comes into focus (not unlike having once been overwhelmed with
so many different tuning formulas).  Very few of us have an extensive
background in math.  That is helpful, but not necessary. It is necessary
to be willing to invest the extra time to really think about what is
going on and
take some notes. With the greatest respect for Stanwood and others who
have given back so much time and energy, sometimes I wish people would
be looking less for an easy handbook with all the answers in black and
white. In the end that only creates more disciples. It saddens me a
little that our Guild has become such a market place for disciples in
recent years.  Sorry........

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College