Damaged Piano

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Aug 22 09:25 MDT 2002

List,
I found out this morning that one of our Baldwin L's has been damaged over
the summer.  I went into the classroom and found it sitting beneath an AC
vent which has leaked all into the bass end of the keyboard and pinblock
area.  Keys do not move, and there is still water standing on the plate.
Haven't pulled anything yet.  I'm finding out about insurance coverage for
something like this.

This is my first such experience.  I would appreciate some advice from
those of you who have experienced this, particularly in the CAUT situation.
Get outside quotes?  Call Baldwin for assessment?  Can I simply dry out the
action with my hair dryer?  Please advise me on anything to be aware of,
mechanically and from the "compensation" end.  Private emails are fine if
that is your preference.

Piano was purchased along with 44 more Baldwins seven years ago at a
ridiculous discount, therefore, if insurance coverage is limited to
purchase price we may have a problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner