damaged piano

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:38 MDT 2002

Hi Ron, List,

>Ouch!

No kidding.

>Any idea how long the water has been there?

No.  This could have been going on all summer or no longer than since last
week.  This classroom was not used during summer sessions, so no one has
been using the piano to know how long this has been going on.  But mold has
already built up in the keybed and frame and keys in the affected area.
Front and a few center rail pins are rusty in the range where most of the
damage is, and key leads have that chalky look like they've been exposed
for quite some time.

I have removed the affected keys, inserted cauls in the bushings and
clamped them together.  At least one sharp stick had split apart at a glue
joint, but I haven't checked all the others yet.

The front rail is a three piece laminated stick.  It is no longer
laminated.  The center rail may be slightly swollen, but I don't think so
(I could raise the keys, but the hammers would not lay down while in the
piano -- removing the action was delicate, to say the least).  I'll have to
wait until dry to evaluate whether it can be used.  The keybed has a couple
of swell buckles (which could have been what was keeping the hammers from
laying down).  The swelling appears to have been reduced overnight after
removal of the action.  I do not have a fan blowing on the cabinet.

Since rust has had a chance to build up on the keypins, but no sign of rust
is appearing whatsoever around the tuning pins or on the strings, I'm
hoping that moisture exposure around the block and pins has been minimal,
thanks to the music desk.

Thanks for all your responses.  We're still waiting to find out whether the
university has a source of funds for such a disaster, or whether the school
of music is on its own.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician