damaged piano

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri Aug 23 15:26 MDT 2002

In a message dated 8/23/02 1:37:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

> But mold has
> already built up in the keybed and frame and keys in the affected area.

Jeff

The more you write about this, the more it is starting to look like either a
complete rebuild is in order, or even a replacement. With as much moisture
that the action got, the least you should do is replace the entire action,
keyframe and all. There is not telling what effects all that water has on the
wood. Even years from now, when it appears all the wood is dry. It will warp,
split, or glue joints will come undone. It will be a nightmare trying to keep
the action going.

Then there is the keybed. You say it has mold growing on it. Again, if the
keybed has gotten wet, the drying out process is going to take years. Thre is
a good chance it will warp and buckle, which will make action regualtion
difficult, if not impossible. . Yes, you might be able to replace the keybed,
along with the action, but are you really set up, much less qualified, to do
all of that work? (I know I would be hesitant to do that much restoration.)

Just having to deal with the action and keybed will make replacing the pin
block and strings seem like a piece of cake. I think you should warn your
chair that this piano is most likely a complete loss, and that he should
start thinking about replacing the piano, instead of trying to fix it.

Wim