damaged piano

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 23 16:34 MDT 2002

Hi Jeff,
             Wim raises a point re: the keybed,  It is made from laminated
poplar with a 1/8" maple cap.
You could be dealing with delamination, hence the bulge. If that is the
case you will never get a stable key bedding job.  There will be gremlins
lurking there long after you are gone.
The Baldwin keybeds are fairly simple to change, so budget on a new one.

Regards roger

At 05:21 PM 8/23/02 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/23/02 1:37:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
>jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:
>

>>But mold has
>>already built up in the keybed and frame and keys in the affected area.
>
>Jeff
>
>The more you write about this, the more it is starting to look like either
>a complete rebuild is in order, or even a replacement. With as much
>moisture that the action got, the least you should do is replace the
>entire action, keyframe and all. There is not telling what effects all
>that water has on the wood. Even years from now, when it appears all the
>wood is dry. It will warp, split, or glue joints will come undone. It will
>be a nightmare trying to keep the action going.
>
>Then there is the keybed. You say it has mold growing on it. Again, if the
>keybed has gotten wet, the drying out process is going to take years. Thre
>is a good chance it will warp and buckle, which will make action
>regualtion difficult, if not impossible. . Yes, you might be able to
>replace the keybed, along with the action, but are you really set up, much
>less qualified, to do all of that work? (I know I would be hesitant to do
>that much restoration.)
>
>Just having to deal with the action and keybed will make replacing the pin
>block and strings seem like a piece of cake. I think you should warn your
>chair that this piano is most likely a complete loss, and that he should
>start thinking about replacing the piano, instead of trying to fix it.
>
>Wim

Roger