Now What? and clicking jacks

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sun Aug 25 18:54 MDT 2002

For what it's worth, if you compare 1920s S&S hammer flanges with 1980s S&S
hammer flanges, you'll find the tongue (that the jack clicks against) is
about 1.2mm longer on the 1980s flange.
The Renner S&S flange is long like the 1980s Genuine S&S flange.
The Tokiwa S&S flange is short like the 1920s Genuine S&S flange.
The center pins are also a little further out on the Renner/1980s flanges.

One commonly sees wippens from the early 20th century with the little wire
hooks to limit down travel of the rep. lever. Perhaps this prevented jack
clicks by stopping the wippen against the drop screw.

Ed Sutton