Crumbling pianos?

Robert Moffatt moffatt5@telus.net
Mon Aug 26 15:28 MDT 2002

Putting anything on the strings is not a wise thing to =
do....particularly, the bass strings. On the prepared pianos I have =
attended to, placing the little round coloured self adhesive markers on =
the appropriate damper - agraffe - capo bar works just fine. If you have =
to use a solvent to remove any residue ( I haven't yet ), the only worry =
is accidentally getting it on the odd string....let alone actually =
applying it (?) to a bass string.

Sincerely,

Bob

Moffatt & Sons Piano Atelier
Calgary, Alberta - Canada
Tel. 403 243-0385=20
moffattr@cadvision.com

-------

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Blaine Vesely=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 11:46 AM
  Subject: Crumbling pianos?

  List,
  Anyone have experience with "Music for a Summer Evening" by George=20
  Crumb?  Music director says "No nuts and bolts in this one, more like=20
  strumming and plucking at specific nodal points on the strings."  I am =

  interested in how others have marked plucking points on strings.  The=20
  performance is in 3 1/2 weeks so I need to formulate a plan.  One of =
the=20
  pianists indicated he has used chalk; he also has put small pieces of =
tape=20
  around the string.  The instructions in the score indicate using=20
  crayon.  What are the chances that the bass strings will develop =
"delayed=20
  onset metallitis"?

  Blaine Vesely
  Kent State University