Fortepiano pitch levels

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Aug 28 12:07 MDT 2002

    I'd think it would partly depend what instruments are around that will be
played with it. A lot of woodwinds and brass from the early classical era (as
well as copies) are designed for ca. 430 - 432. I know that's what the Santa Fe
Chamber Festival wants when they use fortepiano. But if you don't have any (or
many) such, and most use will be with instruments at modern pitch, you might want
to go to 440 as default, as much to avoid hassle as anything else.
    As for what the piano is originally scaled for, that's probably anyone's
guess.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico