Floating pitch

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed Aug 28 12:03 MDT 2002

In a message dated 8/28/02 11:20:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
dkvander@joplin.com writes:

> In past years I have attempted to tune pianos in the colleges I tune for to
> A-440 each tuning.  This has caused me extra work (usually unpaid), and
> mental stress.
>
> This year I have floated pitch on every piano I have tuned, and I feel so
> much happier!  No one has complained about the pianos being at A-442 or
> A-443, and the pianos are behaving better.  When the temperature is 72
> Fahrenheit, and the relative humidity is 83% indoors in the music building,
> floating pitch is the only way to go.
>
> Thanks to Kent Swafford, I have finally seen the light!
>
> David Vanderhoofven

With all due respect to Kent, I wholeheartedly disagree with floating pitch.
Our job, regardless of how much time and effort it takes, is to tune pianos
to the correct pitch, especially in a college situation, where pianos are
used by many different people, and are most likely used to accompany other
instruments. I could maybe see floating the pitch on a piano that is used
only in a home, where no other instruments are being played. But not in a
college setting.

I'm sorry, David, that you think you have found a new light. But it's not a
light I want to see.

Wim