Floating pitch

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed Aug 28 13:21 MDT 2002

A "reasonable amount" is the key here.  Location is also critical in =
your choice.  Our concert instruments stay at 440, no matter what artist =
comes through the door.  However, a chinook will blow in overnight & =
nudge the pitch a cent or two.  Even the "perfect pitch" folks can't =
tell the difference.  I let it go & then let it settle back down when =
the weather changes again in a day or two.  Other wise it's like pushing =
jello back & forth through a keyhole & expecting it to come out the =
other side in a nice, neat cube.

Close your eyes real tight Wim -- then the light won't bother you.

Otto

Piano Technician
University of Idaho
208-885-7918
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:58 AM
  Subject: Re: Floating pitch

  In a message dated 8/28/02 11:20:46 AM Central Daylight Time, =
dkvander@joplin.com writes:=20

    In past years I have attempted to tune pianos in the colleges I tune =
for to=20
    A-440 each tuning.  This has caused me extra work (usually unpaid), =
and=20
    mental stress.=20

    This year I have floated pitch on every piano I have tuned, and I =
feel so=20
    much happier!  No one has complained about the pianos being at A-442 =
or=20
    A-443, and the pianos are behaving better.  When the temperature is =
72=20
    Fahrenheit, and the relative humidity is 83% indoors in the music =
building,=20
    floating pitch is the only way to go.=20

    Thanks to Kent Swafford, I have finally seen the light!=20

    David Vanderhoofven=20

  With all due respect to Kent, I wholeheartedly disagree with floating =
pitch. Our job, regardless of how much time and effort it takes, is to =
tune pianos to the correct pitch, especially in a college situation, =
where pianos are used by many different people, and are most likely used =
to accompany other instruments. I could maybe see floating the pitch on =
a piano that is used only in a home, where no other instruments are =
being played. But not in a college setting.=20

  I'm sorry, David, that you think you have found a new light. But it's =
not a light I want to see.=20

  Wim=20