Floating pitch -- & ear plugs

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed Aug 28 16:35 MDT 2002

In leveling, seating and straightening of strings, I try to have the piano
(as I understand most of you do) at pitch. i.e.: settle the coils, re-tune
to A:440, seat at the bridge, re-tune to A:440, lift at the agraffes,
re-tune to A:440, etc.

The rational for this (I believe) is to have all the string segments bearing
or terminating their very best, when the piano is at pitch. And this is
where it gets a bit murky,.. or not.

I guess it depends on your mental image of what happens to the string
segments during a (climate-induced) pitch change. I see the  strings as
changing tension 'most' along the speaking length rather than at my
carefully straightened little segments at the capo, around the hitch-pins,
etc.

This comfortable delusion permits me to see things as returning pretty much
to normal, after permitting a minor "pitch float." Whereas lowering or
raising string tension, in reaction to (climactic) pitch change, presents
the picture of hauling string hand-over-fist, through every termination and
bearing point,... then, back again kinks and all, in the other direction a
few weeks later. It seems alot like running to the other side of the boat
with every wave. (Which presents another picture; summer is almost gone and
I haven't had the sailboat out once! :>(

within a 4 or 5 cent window, which we can easily deal with. I think it is a
good idea though to consider what all is going on in the piano when climate
moves the pitch, other than just a change in string tension.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

      BTW, I hope you have all had a nice summer, and wish you well during
the fall season!