Floating pitch -- & ear plugs

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed Aug 28 17:05 MDT 2002

Greg:

I float the pitch here, but it is always at least 440.  In the
winter, if a piano is below 440 I bring it up to 440.  By spring or
summer it's high.  Leave it.  I did one today that was at 443 (which
is kind of my max, but there are exceptions) and I left it there
knowing it will be back to 440 by November.  This was in a
piano-major practice room.  Since most of our good pianists are
European they feel right at home at 443.  Why would someone care if a
practice room piano is 442?

dave

On 8/28/02 at 5:29 PM Greg Newell wrote:

>Otto,
>         First I want to make clear that I'm responding to the
thread in
>general and not just your post. I clearly understand why those who
do,
>float pitch. That having been said I would try all I could to not do
it. I
>can forsee a situation where someone knows the piano has "just been
tuned"
>and yet another instrumentalist who just happens to have good pitch
memory
>(Perfect Pitch) will remark to his or her group that the piano is
flat.
>perhaps even significantly. For those who do float pitch why is it
that
>you
>can't simply explain to whatever institution that the temperature
and
>humidity fluctuations are simply too great and that Dampp Chasers
must be
>installed to maintain anything resembling correct and stable pitch?
Money
>is always an issue but if we always give them a way out will they
not
>always take it? My two cents.
>
>Greg Newell
>

>At 02:57 PM 8/28/2002, you wrote:
>>Several years ago I tuned for North Park College in Chicago.  We
had a
>bunch
>>of Wurlitzer (Squirrelitzer) studios in the practice rooms of a
building
>>that kept the rain off.  The pitch went up & down like a yo-yo on a
long
>>string.  Initially, I spent many a day in those concrete cubicles,
>>de-stabilizing those percussion, stringed instruments.  Aug. to
Dec. could
>>see a 40 cent pitch drop in certain areas of the scale.  While they
were
>>still cantankerous, floating the pitch a reasonable amount
preserved my
>>sanity (such as it is) and the departmental budget.
>>
>>On another note:
>>It was in those bunkers that I learned to tune with ear plugs as
well,
>>though I did quit using them for several years after I left there,
for
>fear
>>that customers might mistrust a piano tuner with ear plugs.  In
recent
>years
>>I have gone back to wearing them, educating my customers of the
decibel
>>levels I generate, & reminding them that one may be a
visually-impaired
>>tuner, but there is not a lot of call for deaf piano tuners.  I
have
>found I
>>can concentrate better anyway, since it decreases the db level &
cuts out
>>much of the distracting backgound noise.  Some poorly scaled pianos
will
>go
>>muddy in some sections, particularly the upper treble, but you can
always
>>pop them out for the offending note(s) & back in again.  I always
do a
>final
>>check, sans ear plugs, anyway.  Good customers understand the
rationelle &
>>are supportive.  Those who don't can always be referred to the
sleazy
>>"competition".  We make our living with our ears -- best preserve
them as
>>long as possible.
>>
>>Otto
>>
>>Piano Technician
>>University of Idaho
>>208-885-7918

I feel
>so
>> > much happier!  No one has complained about the pianos being at
A-442 or
>> > A-443, and the pianos are behaving better.  When the temperature
is 72
>> > Fahrenheit, and the relative humidity is 83% indoors in the
music
>>building,
>> > floating pitch is the only way to go.
>> >
>> > Thanks to Kent Swafford, I have finally seen the light!
>> >
>> > David Vanderhoofven
>> > Joplin, MO
>> >

>Greg Newell
>mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net