Floating pitch

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 28 23:54 MDT 2002

Wim,
If you are going to change the pitch any real amount...3 cents or more...you really need to go through the piano twice.  Do you?  If you are bringing the piano to pitch in one shot and pleased with yourself that your keeping it at pitch, I wouldn't bet on the stability...I definitely float the pitch up to 4 cents either direction.
That being said, do any of you CAUT techs find you can get more accomplished by quicker/speed tunings more often or careful tunings less often?
David I.

From: <Wimblees@aol.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Floating pitch

In a message dated 8/28/02 2:17:31 PM Central Daylight Time, kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

Here David has finally tried a technique that results in measurably better,
more stable tunings, and you, just in your 2nd year as a CAUT, try to
introduce doubts. Shame on you, Wim. Pitch floating makes sense; hold out as
long as you like, but you're going to like it when you finally try it!  :)

Congratulations, David. Hang in there.

Kent Swafford

Kent

It's not in my 1 + years as a CAUT that I have had this philosophy. I have always maintained that pianos should be tuned to the correct pitch. In my opinion, that is what we are paid to do. I know it's more work, but I'm sorry you guys, I just can't j

Isn't that what we spent a lot of time discussing last spring, how much our workload is effected by humidity controls, (or rather the lack of it). If we maintain that poor humidity and temperature control is effecting how much work we do, and then com

Now, I realize that for those of you who get paid a set fee by the piano, you want to get through as quickly as possible. Otherwise, as David pointed out, he winds up doing more work for less pay. I don't know the answer for that, other than negotiate

As usual, I am probably all alone with this thinking. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  :)

Wim