Floating Pitch

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed Aug 28 23:26 MDT 2002

Hi Wim Blees and Greg Newell,

I respect both of your opinions.  I agree that a pitch standard should be
maintained, and for most of my customers I do maintain their pianos to
A-440 every time.  I also charge my standard tuning fee, and I charge extra
for pitch corrections.  I like my private customers.

However, the local college budget is extremely inadequate.  The budget
doesn't even allow for two tunings of every piano in the music department,
let alone pitch raises or repairs of any kind, and there is NO budget for
parts.  Let me just say that I do my best within the budget I am
allowed.  I am a non contract tech with no benefits of any kind.

In the past I have knocked myself out and tuned every piano at A-440
everytime.  This has been going on for 4 or 5 years.  However, I get paid
nothing extra for this.  It has affected my income, my family, and my
disposition.

So, I am giving myself a raise.  I am not going to do free work any
more.  I have put a lot of time and effort into acquiring the skills that I
have.  Why do I want to give my time and my hard work away?  I might as
well flush money down the toilet!  Of course the college appreciates my
work, but appreciation doesn't pay my mortgage or buy groceries.

So, to keep my sanity, I am now floating pitch, and I am happier than I
have been in several years.

Question: If you have a concert piano that has not been tuned all summer,
is in a non-controlled environment, and is now 20 to 35 cents sharp, What
would you do?  Now imagine that you are already working at a discount, and
you don't get paid extra for the extra work to lower pitch to A-440 and do
a fine tuning.

The satisfaction of doing a good job is great.  The satisfaction of doing a
good job for which there is no extra pay is a hollow satisfaction.  I would
rather have the satisfaction of a wallet full of money as a reward for
doing my best work.

Just my opinion!

I appreciate you guys. Just keep doing the best work that you can.

Sincerely,

David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO