Floating pitch

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Aug 29 07:50 MDT 2002

In a message dated Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:49:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:

> Wim,
> If you are going to change the pitch any real amount...3 cents or more...you really need to go through the piano twice.  Do you?  If you are bringing the piano to pitch in one shot and pleased with yourself that your keeping it at pitch, I wouldn't bet on the stability...I definitely float the pitch up to 4 cents either direction.
> That being said, do any of you CAUT techs find you can get more accomplished by quicker/speed tunings more often or
> careful tunings less often?
> David I.

I tune the practice room uprights about once a month, or so. There is very little pitch change, especially during the school year. When I do wait longer between tuning, especially in the summer, and I wind up with a big change. I then do tune the piano twice. I am a very fast tuner. I can do a pitch change and fine tuning in about 35 to 45 minutes. (That's a practice room fine tuning). Maybe that is why I don't mind doing the extra work to keep the pianos at pitch.

Wim