soundboard springs

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:52:54 -0600

I've been inspired!  I have a client, a university in East Texas that
has a 5 year old "D" that is dead.  Sustain is gone.  I have a "B"
and a "D" here that are 9 years old.  The "B" is not dead yet, but
the vultures are circling.

I read in the archives again last night the post from Del of April
2001 on putting the sounding board springs in.  I've ordered the
springs from McMaster and I've remembered I have some nice "L" shaped
maple that can serve as the mounts for the system.  This maple had a
former life as damper lifter trays.

I hope to be able to bring a little life to our two pianos here, then
try it on the East Texas piano.  When you think about $200,000 worth
of less than 10 year old pianos in this shape, you really want to do
something, anything!  I like the fact that I can just remove the
additional apparatus if this doesn't make an improvement.  If I do it
over winter break and it doesn't work, no one will ever know.  If it
does work, I'll make sure everybody knows!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu