Yahoo! News Story - Self-Tuning Piano Set to Make Sweet Music

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:38:36 -0600

>Scott Thile (scott.thile@murraystate.edu) has sent you a news
>article. (Email address has not been verified.)
>Personal message:
>
>Hello CAUT folks,
>
>One of the Profs here on campus emailed me the link to this story.
>Anyone heard about this system or Gilmore, the inventor??
>
>Sounds interesting. Id love to see one of these in action.
>
>Self-Tuning Piano Set to Make Sweet Music
>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20021204/sc_nm/science_piano_dc

Hi Scott,

This subject has come up a few times on rec.music.makers.piano, a
newsgroup, and one of the contributers to this forum is the inventor,
Don Gilmore. If you have access to the Usenet newsgroups, a quick
Google search will produce lots of information for you to wade
through.

While the basic theory is sound (so to speak), there seem to be some
technical hurdles to overcome. For example, the agraffes have to be
made of some sort of composite material to avoid grounding the
strings. This could potentially affect the tone and/or sustain. There
are also some questions as to whether or not heating and cooling
strings over an extended period of time will cause them to lose tone
prematurely, particularly the bass strings. Lastly, the initial
tuning, which is set at the factory, still depends on the skill of a
technician doing an aural or electronic tuning, with all the
variables that come with that, and might not be easily changed in the
field to account for any octave stretching or other changes one might
wish to make in the tuning.

Having said all that, it will be interesting to see what this system
actually can or can't do. Stay tuned!

Best wishes,

Tom
--