Sustain in European pianos

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:16:12 +0100

 Dear all,

I'll answer longer later, and may transfer the question to someone that
should certainly answer better than me, but I believe that basically we aim
for a very responsive tone since the start, that allow more dynamic
possibilities than if we where looking for sustain first.
Many European builders , nowadays, use stiff soundboards, large bridges, and
a lot of mass in the system to allow for a longer sustain. We could consider
that Steinway in
Europe is may be the make having the less sustain by design among the
others, but the tone have a strong carrying (?).

It is very clear to me, but without real numbers, that if I compare the tone
of an US S&S and a German one (I was going to write a French one !), the
voicing make the sustain longer and very apparent part of the tone on the US
one.

That may be well a reason too why many avoid lacquering, as an eventual
future problem for the resiliency of the hammers, and then a lost of the
expressive part present at the beginning of the tone.
.

I promise I will try to have a better answer soon.

The commercial war does not really make sense BMHO, but so many things are
said and done...

Best Regards.

Have a good Sunday

Isaac