soundboard springs

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:59:56 +0100

Tim,

thanks for your mail, I will see this system I heard about next week, and
send some comments.

So it is that slight uncoupling effect that is the base of the process ? Is
the left pedal working the same on these pianos ?

I understand that when a board is tired, it is easier to gain some sustain,
that having the board alive again (I mean responsive, multi layered, etc...)

I'll follow your idea and have a look at the wapin site again.

Are all the systems 3 pin systems (I thought of eventual problems of string
riding in the treble because of the front vertical pin) ?

Thanks, and best regards

Till next time

Isaac OLEG

 Envoyé : samedi 7 décembre 2002 03:18
À : oleg-i@wanadoo.fr; CAUT
Objet : Re: soundboard springs

  Isaac,

  Thank you for your comments.  The Wapin Bridge does not work because of
three bridge pins.  It is a common mistake.   It is the front pin that
causes the slight uncoupling of the string to the bridge.  The middle pin
does nothing but trap.

  Perhaps you would like to revisit Wapin.  Europe seems to be looking for
something like Wapin.  There have been European rebuilders inquiring about
Wapin. I don't have much experience with European pianos, but I understand
they have a very short sustain.

  A recently certified US Wapin Installer used a 6' Grotian as his first
install.  It sits right beside a rebuilt SSB, also rebuilt.  He says "the 6'
Grotian gives the SSB a run for the money, except  in the very low bass".
Which is to be expected.  A previously short sustain 6' piano now competing
against a good 7' SSB?

  Tim Coates
  Wapin Company LLP

  Isaac OLEG wrote:

    Tim,

    I had some inquiries about the Wapin a few years ago, but did not spend
much time on that after that.

    It seems evident to me that if the Wapin (3 pins system ?) allow for a
better bridge string transmission, even on a tired board that will help a
lot by avoiding the lack of efficient pressure (DB) on the board.
    I believe that the side pressure of the standard pins is not helping the
string enough under the impact of the hammer.

    I received some very good comments lately , of the use of the Wapin
setup in that case. I will see another setup of the same kind soon (from a
French designer).

    Regards.

    Isaac OLEG