Are all students this stupid?

dabell58@earthlink.net dabell58@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:50:58 -0500

"If I only learned one thing from teaching it is that, if there is the
LEAST
bit of ambiguity in a question, the students will find it, grab it and use
it to try to justify ANY answer as being correct." Conrad Hoffsommer -
Music Technician

Absolutely right. Years of teaching pre-med chemistry and nursing made me
extremely careful to have my questions read ahead of time by someone who
didn't know what the professor (me) was thinking and could see the
ambiguities better than I could. Teaching is wonderful for humbling the ego.

My favorite confusion of this kind came from an instructional videotape for
which I had done the first reading and had seen no problems. The
instruction said "Use the on-off button to turn off the machine when you're
done." At the end of one afternoon, we went in to find the spectrometer
still running and the on-off button (push for on, push again for off,
although we hadn't said so) neatly unscrewed from its threads and placed on
top of the machine. We redid the instructions.

Dorrie Bell
Boston, MA