Euro-sustain (Mark Cramer)

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:21:08 -0600

Mark,
 I had a chance to visit the Steingraeber & Sohns booth
at the Kansas City Convention a few years ago. The pianos
were sleek, and had very clear tone. They played very
well, too. But what pianos do not play well at one
of our PTG conventions?

 I did not notice the sound board area,  but did
have a good look at the hammers, which were closer to looking
like a triangle than Steinway's "gothic" shape.
I'm not sure this has anything to do with the sustain, though.
I've been inclined to try shaping some hammers that radically
to find out!

I appreciated their case designs. For a small shop they do
wonderfully meticulous work.

Richard