those pesky swings

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:31:21 -0600

Re: those pesky swingsHi Wim,

sorry to give you more work so close to the holidays, but the "protek" topic
comes up from time to time, so would you mind trying the following?

Choose the centre-pin that provides a snug birds-eye fit (hopefully only one
size-over), and gently ream/burnish the bushing to get a reliable function;
3 1/2, 4 swings, whatever.

Then, ... treat it with Protek again!

The situation where Protek makes a overly tight centre ridiculously loose in
a nanosecond, has been blamed on a number of likely
causes; plated center pins, over-burnishing, corrosion,etc. And I think any
of these may be correct, given the circumstance.

Since you hadn't mentioned the origin of the parts, or whether they had
previously been re-pinned, I'm going to guess that corrosion is the culprit.

Hopefully the reaming will remove any glaze from the bushing cloth, the
(repeat) Protek'ing  will do no more than it's supposed to (protect the nice
shiny pin and the cloth), and you will have a very stable part. Please share
your results, if you don't mind.

With "mystery" actions, where the pinning seems tighter than it has a right
to be, my habit is treat the centers with Protek in advance of re-pinning,
just to know what I'm dealing with.

BTW, I do recall Newton mentioning protek'ing center pins quite recently,
and how sad he can't be here to share his wisdom with us now.

kindest regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

  We all know that a hammer is supposed to swing 4 - 8 times. If it is less
than 4, then the bushing is too tight. If it's more than 8, supposedly the
bushing is not tight around the pin, and that might cause the hammer to
wobble up to the string, which will eventually lead to uneven wear on the
hammer, whcih creates tone problems, ya da, ya da.

  So here is the problem. I've got this hammer with only 3 swings. So that
mean the bushing is too tight. Before I take the pin out, ream the bushing,
and put in the same size pin, I put a little Protec on the bushing. But now,
all of a sudden, I've got 10 - 12 swings. According to the above
presumption, the bushing is now not tight around the pin any more.

  Or is it? Has the introduction of Protec shrunk the bushing to the point I
need to ream and repin with a larger pin? Or do I leave the original pin in
there, and allow the 10- 12 swings?

      Wim