key bushings and extra work

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:52:36 -0500

RicB wrote:
>I also agree that being a CAUT means a
>certain amount of extra time done for the greater good as it were. I
>look around and see that most of the teachers, proffs, and
>administration folks are putting in all kinds of hours they arent
>strictly being paid for. Not that you should neglect to keep em on their
>toes mind you... it does no good to let yourself get exploited
>unduely... but a well played "extra time" card is a nice asset

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Yes, that sounds like a nice idea, but Ric, in a lot of cases, the piano
tech is stuck in a salary band in which the top of the band (which you
might reach by retirement) is where many of the profs start, and there may
well be nothing your administrator can do about it.  Faculty are also able
to reach a much higher salary level with their years of service.  So there
is a reasonable payback for their extra hours.

We, on the other hand, must do outside work just to make ends meet.  If
you're putting in a lot of free time, when are you gonna make the money
that pays the light bill?  When are you going to be a Dad, Mom, husband or
wife?

That free time becomes expected, not rewarded.  It's the American Way.

My thoughts,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician