Guidelines/workload formula

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Feb 1 09:13 MST 2002

Fellow CAUTs,
	February is upon us, and before we know it it will be time for the
annual convention in Chicago (early this year - end of June). We are
hoping to present and act on a newly revised/improved Guidelines for
Effective Institutional Piano Maintenance at that time. Meaning time is
really rather short to get that work completed.
	I have been heading up the effort to revise the workload formula. My
article in, I think, the October PTJ covered the why and what of what
has been proposed so far. Don McKechnie and David Porritt posted
databases and templates on the caut page including the newly proposed
numbers. We badly need feedback, to be sure we're on the right track,
and, especially, to finetune to the extent possible. So far, the only
substantive feedback I have received came from Jeff Tanner (thanks,
Jeff, for some very insightful comments).
	So this is a plea to all of you to try out the new numbers at your
institution, and let us know how they come out. Do they produce a
workload number that is close to what your honest, practical advice
would be? Are there areas that seem wrong?
	I have used both David's and Don's databases. They are quite user
friendly and convenient. In each you can go to a cell either by mouse or
keystroke. In the cell you can type in a value or use the mouse to
select a value from a pull-down menu. Don made some macros so you can
enter a default value in every cell in certain columns (like humidity
variation, which is likely to be the same for every room in a building).
	Don's is a stand alone program, in both mac and windows formats It took
me about 3 hours to enter my 80 pianos. I could probably have got that
time down if I had thought it through a little better. A couple
suggestions for efficiency:
	Take your existing database/spreadsheet. Sort by manufacturer and
model. Put it in table form with serial #, room #, make and model
showing. Size the window to fit about half the screen. THen open the
formula database and size it to fit the other half of the screen. Copy
and paste in serial numbers, and enter room, make, and upright/grand.
Then go through and enter the other data. Having the pianos sorted will
mean there will be a lot of the same numbers in sequential records: eg,
pretty much all my Hamiltons are the same age, condition, acceptable
standard. So I think once, then enter a whole bunch.
	Thanks for your help. Let's try to make this something we can really
use for many years to come.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

PS The Caut page is http://www.mursuky.edu/caut.php/homepage.htm
If you'd like a copy of my PTJ article, email me privately and I'll send
it to you.