Guidelines/workload formula

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Feb 1 12:20 MST 2002

Wim,
	The question, and it applies to anyone who is crunching the figures and
providing feedback, is, "Does the formula produce a workload number that
you agree is a reasonable number?" In other words, in your specific
instance, do you agree that 71 pianos in your situation (given their
condition and the demands made on them) can be adequately taken care of
by one full time employee (again to meet the quality demands made on
them)? Preferably thinking in the long term future as well: can you keep
things up to snuff at this level of labor to number of pianos. If you
want to be really precise, that extra 0.1 FTE could be considered a need
for a work study to come in 6 hrs a week during semesters and do work
like key re-bushing.
	But I don't think we are being that precise. All we want is to come as
close as possible to reflecting reality. It sounds like the formula does
that in your situation, or at least comes close. I'd just like to hear
whether you think you have a tremendously cushy job (sitting around
twiddling your thumbs much of the time <g>), are horribly overworked, or
just about right. If the latter, then the formula works for you.
Regards,
Fred