single-use tools

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri Feb 1 12:21 MST 2002

Hi list,

there are a lot of useful tools to be found in bargain bins at hardware and
w-working stores. I refer to these as "single-use" tools (not to be confused
w/ single-purpose tools), as many are made from poor steel, and may only
last for  one use. Nonetheless they can serve a very useful purpose, i.e.:

spare drill-bits, if you break a good one

use for rough work, when you don't want to dull a good tool

try-out a new type of tool w/o over-investing

Here are some gems from my latest shopping trip:

Transfer Punches: $6.79CDN set of 20 plus in fractional sizes
(Princess  Auto .com)

 I paid $30.00 for my first set, one of the handiest tools in the shop!
These appear to be the very same mfg., and are very precise (generally
(.002" to .003" smaller than index bit size)

uses: transfering perfect centers from a specific hole size: plate hole to
pin-block, etc.

Forstner bits; saw-toothed, from 1/4" to 2 1/2" in 1/4" increments $60.00
CDN
(Canadian Tire.com) The whole set cost just a bit more than one of my good
quality German Forstner bits, and it didn't even come in gold finish with a
wooden storage case! :>)

uses: holes for key-leads, coving hammer-tails, and more. The smaller sizes
work fine in a portable drill for pin-block dowels, etc.

Centre-finding bits: The retractable outer sleeve indexes to the external
hole size, and aligns the index-sized bit automatically to centre.
Uses: locating/boring hinge holes, etc.

Tapered-bits: Bores the thread-cut, shank and seat dimensions for a wood
screw all in one operation. Uses: Pin-block screws, etc.

I found (but did not purchase) the above in one of those wonderful plastic
cases that also include a selection of cheap Forstner, jobber, brad-point,
Speed-bore and screw-driving bits all-in-one, for a very cheap price.

Some of these tools you will discard right away (off-centre brad-points for
e.g.) but the rest of the kit can provide a wealth of spare tools, and the
chance to try some new ones at a "can't afford not to" price.

Anyone else so afflicted with the bargain-bin fettish?

best,
Mark Cramer
Brandon University