Guidelines/workload formula

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri Feb 1 14:29 MST 2002

In a message dated 2/1/02 1:18:57 PM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> All we want is to come as
> close as possible to reflecting reality. It sounds like the formula does
> that in your situation, or at least comes close. I'd just like to hear
> whether you think you have a tremendously cushy job (sitting around
> twiddling your thumbs much of the time <g>), are horribly overworked, or
> just about right. If the latter, then the formula works for you.
> Regards,
> Fred

Fred

The formula, as it is utilized, and as far as I am concerned, works. But I
want to include that I am new at the job here, and I took over a hoouse full
of pianos, that were, if not neglected, at least not maintained to the
standards of a major university. Right now I am busy. I could put in twice as
many hours, and still not get done with everything that has to be done. But
in about 2 years, according the a schedule I have devised for myself, I
should be caught up getting all the pianos up to a standard I think is
acceptable. That is what I have been spending my time doing. Perhaps in 2
years, I will find that I doing less repair works, and more preventive
maintenance, and my time will be less demanding. But for now, I am keeping
busy, and keeping up with day to day tuning and trouble shooting, while doing
major action overhauls in my "spare time."

Again, I want to stress that the formula you and the committee have come up
with is very accurate and should useful when trying to convince the "powers
that be" to hire the proper number of techs for their departments.

Wim