Guidelines/workload formula

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Fri Feb 1 17:46 MST 2002

Wim,

Are you sure that the formula comes out to about 1 tech for your school?  The
workload formula does account for "outsourcing," but the piano condition
data, age, etc.  needs to be factored into the formula.  I am guessing the
formula would suggest about one tech for every 20-40 pianos if the
instruments are in poor repair.  Whether the work is vended  or performed by
the school's tech(s), the formula should provide a good idea of the workload
required, including the major repairs and rebuilding.  I am curious about how
your numbers work out with all the numbers crunched.  Maybe do the numbers
"before and after" the catching up?

I have a similar situation at a small CSU school, 22 pianos, 2 harpsichords;
I just finished the report.  They need to do some catching up too, and it
remains to be seen how they will do it - the dean is working on it now.  They
won't hire a full time tech for a just a couple years of catching up, so the
best solution for them is to vend the extra work rather than work it into a
job description.

Bill Shull

In a message dated 2/1/02 9:51:08 AM Pacific Standard Time, Wimblees@aol.com