airline travel, post 9/11

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri Feb 8 09:58 MST 2002

I returned home last night from a trip to Sweden.  I took an SAT, tuning
hammer and a few other tools.  I wrapped them in clothing for safe
keeping and told the checkin person that the checked suitcase contained
electronic equipment and tools.  I was informed I could not take a nail
clipper on board so I just dropped my keys into the checked suitcase.

No problems as all in Newark, Heathrow or Copenhagen.  I was required to
take my shoes off for x-raying.  Amusing.

Take no chances.  Many airlines now x-ray checked luggage.

I would get a strong, secure but old suit case, take only the minimum
you will need and pack them carefully with clothing and have your name
on it.  The scruffier the better.  You can use rope or duct tape to
secure the case so it cannot be opened easily.

Insured cases have tags on them showing the additional insurance.  Not
an idea I like so much.  Of course that was years ago and things may
well have been changed by now.  Worth looking into.

Have fun.

		Newton