Humidity Problems

Stickney, Jeff P StickneyJP@mso.umt.edu
Thu Feb 14 08:11 MST 2002

List,
	The band and choir rooms here at UM have extremely low humidity -
15-16% RH - lower than the rest of the building.  I always knew tuning
stability was a problem but now that I am writing down temp and RH every
time I tune, I've realized it's not just all those bodies coming and going
in a day.  Last fall we moved an older Baldwin F into the choir room on
which I had installed new hammer, shanks and flanges. When I tuned it in
January the regulation - especially hammer alignment and spacing - was all
over the place, loose screws everywhere, etc.  The piano had also developed
more false beats and seemed generally harder to tune (I mean it's already a
Baldwin - give me a break).  The Kawai it replaced was also notoriously hard
to tune, full of false beats and unstable.
	My questions are:  1)  Benefit everyone in these rooms and install
1-2 room humidifiers - or just try to help the pianos with Dampp-Chasers?
2)  The piano in the band room is a Yamaha P22.  It gets moved around by
anyone and everyone regularly - the case shows it unfortunately.  Is there a
potential problem with water sloshing out of the dehumidifier bucket when it
is moved?  (I think the bucket would hang in this piano?)  3)  Are the false
beats a result of the bridges drying out and the pins getting loose?  I
tried tapping the bridge pins with a set and seating strings - it seemed to
help some.  Will the get better if the humidity level is brought up?
	Thanks for you help.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu