frequencies

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Thu Feb 14 10:04 MST 2002

In answer to Richard's question, Denis Brassard writes:

One equation used to find the frequency of a note is the following:

I took the next 2 formulas  from Dr. Albert Sanderson:

(1.b)     I=Bn^2
B is the inharmonicity constant and n is the partial number.
<<<<<

 From my own empirical studies, I have found that the n^2 term
in the equation for inharmonicity does not agree with
actual measurements.  I suggest using, instead of n^2, the
following lookup table:

	n	C[n] (instead of n^2)
     --------------
	1	1.000
	2	4.000
	3	8.450
	4	13.18
	5	19.72
	6	27.27
	7	35.53
	8	46.25
	9	57.12
	10	69.43
	11	83.22
	12	96.60
	13	109.8
	14	125.4
	15	139.5
	16	156.1

This is, in fact, what is used by TuneLab Pro and TuneLab Pocket.

-Robert Scott
  Real-Time Specialties