Humidity Problems

Fri Feb 15 01:15 MST 2002

Don wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I would go with dc systems with bottom and back covers. Room type
> humidifiers are really not suitable in your situation--run them dry over
> the weekend and you will be retuning the instruments.

Don,  we have room humidifiers in our concert hall and practice hall because
the instruments are being moved around so often that DC units are not
appropriate. These systems are part of the ventilation system for that part
of the building and are connected to the water lines so they never run out
of water. Once a month there is a filter cleaned or changed and thats it.
15% RH is really low.  Pianos will get affected for sure, but then so will
practically ever thing else. Computers and electronics are in danger from
static charge build ups, outside humidity invades the innner walls of the
buildings causing structual damage, and for us living sorts, we can get all
kinds of problems with skin and eyes and lungs.

Actually, we had a similiar problem to the one Jeff describes in our concert
hall 5 years ago with humidity levels dropping below 25 % over most of the
winter. The health authorities got involved and threatened to shut the place
down.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.