Humidity Problems

Sat Feb 16 05:57 MST 2002

Don wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Well sounds like a wonderful system. Permanent water lines would be a nice
> solution to watering. I did have one client ask about this for his dc
> system. I explained it was possible but that I was not a plumber, so he
> would have to contact one.

Well, I dont know if this is the kind of solution one would find best for the
home. We probably both would recommend the DC system me thinks. But for a
University hall where instruments are moved alot the DC has this nasty weakness
of being unplugged. I'd like to see your battery back up idea in action tho...
that seems like a neat idea. But I am not a fan of too much enclosure... ie
bottom and top coverings. I run into too many objections from proffessors and
teachers about that.

Personally, I like a well functioning room system better then a DC. But it has
to be a good system for sure. A university should have enough money to install
such a thing, and its good for all concerned.

> I still don't believe that room type humidifiers can offer the same level
> of control as DamppChaser systems. For pianos that move and are truely
> important to be controlled one could add a ups power supply--it would carry
> the load for several hours, and would *beep* until it was plugged in again.

Well, an underdimensioned room system certainly isnt a good solution.

> Btw I have my first real results from bottom covers and they wonderful. A
> G2 that usually shifts 30 cents down af A4 from Sept to Jan, went *up* 2

> cents. I am VERY pleased.

Oh I like DC's too... no doubt. I have 15 of our 19 grands on them. The other
four are in rooms that are controlled climates.

> If you think 15% is low--try 4%!

No way... I would last for 10 minutes before breaking out in a horrible rash. I
got dry enough skin as it is. 4% is unacceptable as an inside climate IMHO.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.