Humidity Problems

Stickney, Jeff P StickneyJP@mso.umt.edu
Sat Feb 16 08:08 MST 2002

	Thanks for your ideas on the humidity problem.  I think for
everyone's sake a building system would be best - for health, stringed
instruments and pianos.  Unfortunately, our chair thinks even if it's a
possibility, it would take forever for them to come through with it.  The
latest is, he wants a proposal from me on the cost to install systems on all
our grands!  Well, at least its progress.  I probably won't recommend
systems for the performance pianos since the are on and off the stage like a
ping pong ball.
	I'm still wondering about systems in pianos that are moved a lot -
both for the unplugging issue and the danger of water sloshing out of the
bucket - especially in a vertical.  Anyone have this happen?

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Brekne [mailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 2:23 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Humidity Problems

Whoa.... thats some low humidity readings for sure. I imagine more then one
person
is icthing like crasy from dried out skin. Aside from the obvious health
detriments to this low a humidity level, its a guarentee of a dead piano
within a
few seasons.

Falseness is most likely due to loose bridge pins I would think. Tapping
isnt
going to help a lot, certainly not in the long run. Probably the damage is
more
permanant and you will have to result to some kind of epoxy or CA treatment,
or
some more complete repair.

The only real solution to this is to avoid this over dry climate to begin
with.
Get them Grizzlys to pump a bit of cash into a climate control system... or
fix
the existing one if there is one.

Good luck.
RicB