false beats

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 19 18:14 MST 2002

Hi Fred,
               Most of the falseness noticed, has been with rust and dirt near
the termination points.  Having said that,  I have noticed an improvement in
power and sustain on PSO's with very rusty strings, once they are cleaned up.
  With newer pianos, that has rust , I clean them up as a matter of routine
with a string eraser.
  On bad pianos, I have been aggressive with 600 grit, wet and dry to get them
nice and clean,  it makes a big difference.  I know, I'm crazy, <G>  But it's
the lesser of two evils.

Bridge pins and CA:   Place some paper towel between the notch and the strings
and drip a few drops of the thin viscosity down the pin.  A second piece of
paper towel to keep the excess  from forming between the string and bridge
cap.  I use this for back against the wall treatment. My preference is to pull
the pin, and use medium viscosity for the gap filling properties, also push
the
pin so the material is on the back side of the pin restoring side bearing.
When recapping, I use thin CA as a pin driving fluid. It makes a big
difference
in power cleanness and sustain.
Been doing this for a few years, and I have noticed cleaner and stronger
sounding trebles.  I may be fooling myself, but I think the tuning seems more
stable.
My thought's on the matter, is that the pin to bridge connection has been may
impervious to moisture swings.  Just a theory.   A few colleagues have tried
this, and have found similar results.  Since the pianos have have a lot of
work
done to them, there is no real proof.

Regards Roger.